For Meatless Monday Evansville on August 28, 2023 Both Dan and I decided we were tired of summer and hot weather! We also had gone to a local Apple Orchard to pick Johnathan and Gala apples. Dan loves apples and Johnathan’s are his favorite! We decided that we would make this apple crisp! I hope you make it, it is so good!
Here is the link to us making the apple crisp on Meatless Monday Evansville
Here is the recipe!
DAN’S FAVORITE APPLE CRISP
4-5 large crisp apples – (approx. 2 pounds choose a mix of sweet and tart but firm apples. I like Pink Lady and Granny Smith)
1/2 cup whole dried cranberries (Unsweetened preferred)
3 tablespoons pure maple syrup or agave nectar
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
Zest of 1 lemon
1/4 teaspoon dried nutmeg or zest
FOR THE CRISP TOPPING
1 cup rolled oats, do not use quick oats (gluten free if desired)
3/4 cup chopped pecans, walnuts or sunflower seeds for nut-free option
1/2 cup almond meal (see note: for nut-free option)
1/2 cup shredded coconut shredded.
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup pure maple syrup or agave nectar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Peel and core the apples, then cut them into 1-inch chunks.
- Line the bottom and sides of a 9×9-inch baking dish with parchment paper
- In a large bowl mix together apples, cranberries, maple syrup, cornstarch, lemon zest, lemon juice, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the topping ingredients: oats, nuts, almond meal, coconut, cinnamon, applesauce and salt. Pour the maple syrup over the top, use a spatula to combine until the dry ingredients are moistened. Pour the topping over the filling and carefully spread over the apple cranberry mixture so it evenly covered.
- Bake the crisp for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the filling is bubbling and the top is golden Check at 35 minutes to make sure the crisp is not browning too quickly, if it is, tent it with foil, then continue baking as directed. Let rest for 5 to 10 minutes.Serve warm, topped with vegan vanilla ice cream or vegan yogurt.
If nut free: Use Tiger Nut Flour